Friday, October 3, 2008

Ride to Buffalo Hallow

I realize I have blogged numerous 'fall leaves' pictures ... but ... they are beautiful AND I am relatively certain this will be the last as it is going to rain tomorrow and the leaves will be gone. We took a ride up Spanish Fork Canyon and turned off at Sheep Creek and found this beautiful spot. It was fun to ride through the quakies with the leaves falling all around us.

Up on top of the mountain (about 9000') we could see down into Strawberry Reservoir. The color was prettier than it looked but because the sun wasn't out it didn't show up as well.
(This is actually near the area where the guys go deer hunting, FYI.)

Another view from up on top (looking down on Buffalo Hallow). I can see that I need to have the camera with me so I can take more pictures of Dennis!! (That is his quad in front of mine!!) We got back to the truck just in time ... it was just starting to sprinkle. Here comes the rain!! (We hope!!)
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Fall doesn't last forever, so it's totally ok to keep blogging fall pictures, especially for those who don't live in Utah. You guys have seen so many beautiful places on your quads this year. Thanks for sharing them with us!

Jodi Leishman said...

What beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing. We haven't had time to enjoy them this year.
I love all the colors.

Cathi said...

Absolutely gorgeous and somewhat familiar!?!?
Back Sept of 2001, David and I went to a family reunion in Delta Utah. We were only to be gone a few days but decided to take the scenic route home by way of ID, WY, SD, NE, CO, and Utah again. When on road trips we always take the scenic route. When we came back into UT from CO we saw a scenic route on the map that went along the shore of Strawberry Reservoir that also looked to be a shortcut south. It was definitely a scenic route but as the grade of the dirt road increased I had a feeling we may have over estimated out map reading abilities. Bravely we continued the climb up the mountain sure the next highway would appear around the next turn. It didn't however; we did see gorgeous views full of autumn colors just as you did!! We never saw another vehicle. I, being an experienced 4x4 and dirt bike driver,  knew we were really, really, really, way out of our element. David, the city kid, was simply enjoying himself and not worried one bit that the sun was setting and that the dirt road was full of ruts I would have given second thoughts to driving a trucks over. We finally saw a campfire a bit off the road with a few trucks about it. We drove through the trees and I will NEVER be able to describe the faces of the “hunters” (I think it was bow season) when I climbed out of the little two door Mitsubishi Eclipse with the CA licence plates and approached them with my map in hand explaining, “I think we might be lost!!” Mouths hanging open, they told us to carefully stay to the left hand side of the road (because of the sheer drop on the right side) and slowly continue down the mountain to a fork in the road. Go right (I think) and it will eventually take you to the highway. I think the hunters laughed themselves silly that night and David and I may have become their favorite hunting story. We had so much fun that we eventually turned south and went to Mesa AR by way of Zion NP. Our three day trip became a glorious 3 week trip. I even got to see the Grand Canyon! (Along with Yellowstone, the Badlands and the Black Hills and so much more!)
Is there a length of comment rule?!?
Anyway, were we on your road??

Amy said...

Beautiful pictures! I just love fall and could look at these pictures all day long! Fall just doesn't last long enough.
I think Mom needs to take the camera on the next ride. ;)