Saturday, October 4, 2008

We Made APPLESAUCE!!

I am going through the STEPS required to make applesauce (documenting it in full so we don't forget how much work it is!!!) The first picture should of been our little apple tree LOADED with apples, but Dennis picked them before I thought of it!! So, this isn't actually step 1, but for this blog it is!! The first step was to pick them - then WASH them - and quarter them (which also removed any wormy spots that might appear - luckily we sprayed them this year and only had about 5% with bad spots!)

Here they are in the cooking process. The one on the left is almost done - and the other one is just beginning. (The house smelled yummy - apples!!)

This is the actual 'applesauce making procedure'!! We bought this device years ago - when we lived in Idaho - it is called a Victorio Strainer - and we love it!! The cooked apples (seeds and skin included) go into the white funnel - then they go through the strainer and the applesauce slides down the shoot and the garbage comes out the end into the tin container. It is pretty a amazing thing!!

This is the 'filling stage'. The jars had to be washed and sterilized - and the applesauce spooned into them (after it was stirred and sweetened a little). Then sterilized lids are placed on them and they are ready for processing.

This shows the 'mess' canning can be - especially when you take on a huge project all at once, like we did!! On the stove we have apples cooking as well as finished jars waiting to be processed and sealed for storage. It took many more hours than either of us remembered from the 30+ years ago that we did this last. Was it easier then --- or have we just forgotten??? (We know that being that much older didn't help either --- achy bodies!!!)

Here are the finished products ~ 52 jars of yummy homemade applesauce. (That works out to be 1 jar a week for an entire year, if we want!!) Canning is a very rewarding experience - but it is not without much work!! We are very glad it is done!! (Actually there is about 1/2 of a box still in the garage - we may give some away ..... no more applesauce!!)

8 comments:

Donna Schauers said...

Talk about the fruits of your labor! WOW!! I'm so envious! My foodstorage would love to have canned applesauce. Good for you!!!

Cathi said...

That was a lot of apples and...it seemseven more applesauce. 52 Jars? With 5 kids, just exactly how many jars is that for you two?!? I want some!!

Wendy said...

I am way impressed with your canning skills this year! I always knew canning wasn't easy but now I REALLY know how involved canning can be. But the end results have been YUMMY!!!

Amy said...

Wow! Lots of apples!!! Everytime Seth sees fruit growing on a tree he says 'Grandma's apple tree!'. Silly boy.
Can't wait to try some of your yummy applesauce!

Jodi Leishman said...

First, I want to say thank you for bringing some applesauce over to me. Since I was sick that was the only thing I ate for 2 days. It was VERY yummy!!
Second, when I'm not the PTA president, like maybe next fall can we can something? I need to learn how to do this.
GOOD JOB!!

M said...

thanks for the apple sauce it was delicious! We love your sharing :)

debra said...

Thanks for letting my girls come see the whole process and see your handy applesaucer machine at work! They loved it and thanks for sharing!!!

Gallaugher Spot said...

good documentation so you can remember how hard it is. Sounds Yummy!