Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Deer Hunting October 2008

Here are the mighty hunters ... minus the photographer, Dennis. (Dallin, David and Ryan) They didn't get a deer opening day ... but did find a place Dennis has been looking for... for many years ~ a place from his youth, where he had encountered a
BIG FOOT experience!!
While looking for places to take the boys hunting, Dennis discovered (on a map) a road we had not traveled. Ever since we moved back to Utah he has tried to find this place. It is where his family had hunted when he was about 17, and on this road Dennis, a friend, and a cousin, encountered BIG FOOT!!
This is another picture of the same area where the event took place ... and the large clump of bushes just to the right of center is where they last saw 'it'!! Here is the story ...

The three boys had hunted all morning ... and about mid day all of them shot deer in the bottom of a steep canyon. They dressed the deer out and left them ... then they had to walk back to camp (which took several hours) to get their horses. By the time they got back to the deer the sun had gone down. With the help of the horses they got the deer to the top of the canyon, unloaded the deer to be picked up the next day, and started riding the horses back to camp. By this time it was VERY dark ... no moon!! The boys rode along this road, single file. The road followed the top of the ridge, so you could see shapes against the night sky. As they rounded the first hill top they could see something off to their left following them ~ there were 2 of them. One was larger than the other, it appeared to be about 8' tall, the other was about half that size. They yelled "Who's out there!!" There was no answer, but the shorter one stopped. The big one kept moving parallel to them, about 50 yards from the road. It didn't make any noise, but kept moving, sometimes faster and sometimes slower than they did. All three of them pulled out their guns, put bullets in the chambers, had their fingers on the triggers and the safety off!! (They were VERY SCARED!!) They continued along the road, in the dark. Big Foot moved ahead of them and went behind the clump of bushes seen in the above photo. The boys were sure that was where they were going to meet their fate!! The road turned and went by the bushes. As they carefully approached that area their horses shied and jumped as they too sensed something was there. Nothing ever appeared ... they continued back to camp without seeing 'it' again.

The next day they took their dads with them and went back to get the deer and to check the area, but found nothing. All three of them had the same story to tell their parents even though they did not discuss it that night. (They rode back to camp in terrified silence!!)

Even though this event took place 45 years ago ... Dennis knew the area when he found it, and was able to describe to David and Ryan every detail of that day. Frightening things like this don't leave you!! (As a side note ... he hasn't ventured out of camp at night since then!!)

8 comments:

Amy said...

I'm sad you haven't got a deer yet... hopefully soon.
I'm glad you posted the Big Foot story. I always forget the details. Amazing that Dad was able to find the exact spot again. Now you have pictures of it!

Wendy said...

I remember parts of the Big Foot story but I don't remember that there were two of the them. That's amazing that you were able to find the spot after all these years.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a buck will cross your path soon! :)

debra said...

Okay, I don't ever remember hearing the big foot story, and it took me TWO days to read this because when I started to read it (two days ago)- it was late at night and I was a CHICKEN! Which turns out to be a good thing because Janna asked if I read it, I told her "not yet" and she said she read it the other night and was scared (like I knew I would be!) That's a little frightening! But it's also very cool that he found the spot!

Janna said...

So Deb just posted what I was going to say... I still get a little creeped out by that story just thinking about it. I want to hear more details in the day time with lots of people around!

Jodi Leishman said...

Sometimes the hunting experience isn't about bringing home the deer. I'm glad the Harrison boys have had a great time preparing for and bonding together at the hunt this year.

Big Foot... very scary story!! One of the reasons I like to camp at the marriott.

M said...

I am glad you got a picture I sent the camera with David on every occasion and he said there was nothing to take pictures of :( disappointing, we did "shoot" a twopoint last night just down from your house but just with our camera... so I had to "steal pictures from your blog so I can have memories of deer hunting and we can refer Janna back to this page back to thispage since she doesn't remember David with his beard :) It was fun for Dallin to experience the BIG FOOT land since we were just told the story around the campfire this summer! HOW EXCITING!

cec said...

I clearly remember hearing the Big Foot story! I'm a sucker for a scary story.

I love the photo of Strawberry in the post below. So beautiful. My dad and I camped there with Papa during a meteor shower - it was incredible (much better than the fishing).

Erin said...

oh the joys of hunting season. I love that they found the BIG FOOT location. I cant believe he could remember the site from so long ago. Im so glad you left a comment on alisons blog. Tell amy to invite me to her blog.eellsworth951@gmail.com. I hope you have a great thanksgiving. WEre excited to see Byron in a couple of days.